SharePoint Oracle Integration
Very often it is important to integrate a database with a web application. One of the most advantageous approaches to organize data access to Oracle is to utilize the Business Connectivity Services from Microsoft.
Katpro solves many issues that still exist with the SharePoint out-of-the-box external data integration with Oracle. It makes it as simple as possible to associate SharePoint records to Oracle tables and queries, codeless and bi-directional. All SharePoint list highlights are accessible for the associated records, including search, change notifications and work processes.
- Business Connectivity Services (BCS) is another new service introduced with SharePoint 2010 to permit SharePoint sites to connect to and manipulate external data.
- SharePoint 2007 had a comparable facility in the form of Business Data Catalog (BDC) which made external data available or accessible within its site.
- However, a major issue with BDC was the difficulty in creating solutions as there was no support in the 2007 designer.
- Most BDC solutions were basically for accessing external data; manipulating external data sources was extremely difficult.
- With SharePoint 2010, BCS ships with out-of-box features such as solutions, services, and tools which make interfacing or connecting to external data an easy task.
- Regardless of Whether you need to retrieve Outlook contacts in a list offline or edit the contents of your document file or share your excel sheet online or reuse data from dynamic InfoPath forms or just update your business presentation, BCS enables deep or profound content sharing, editing and integration in SharePoint 2010 with SharePoint Designer and Visual Studio tools.
Let’s consider SharePoint Oracle Integration with regards to corporate portal development:
- We needed to build or construct a solution that permits monitoring and filtering employee data: name, address, and place of residence, education, position, vacation, sick leave, military duty.
- Since the database with employee data had been created long ago, we had to integrate it into a newly developed corporate portal.
Here is an example of accessing the database by utilizing a BDC model. The BDC model enables the development of applications by adding or including entities and methods in the model file or document.
To create a BDC model, you need to:
- Create an empty SharePoint Project.
- Add BDC model to the project.
- Rename the files created into User and UserService.
- In the file UserService, we define the methods or techniques that return the list and the selected entry.
- Now we can compile and deploy the solution
- The result.
In this article, we will create a model for the BDC service that profits information from an Oracle database. You will then create an external list in SharePoint by utilizing this model.
- Oracle Database.
- Create Business Data Connectivity Model.
- Modify the default Entity from the BDC Model.
- Read Operations.
- Configure Business Data Connectivity access rights.
- Creating External List.
Katpro has built a solution that allows or enables you to pull data or information to a SharePoint portal from Oracle. In our case, all the employee data was carefully or precisely organized and reflected on the corporate portal, which made it convenient to use for HR purposes.
For an efficient solution oriented implementation contact us or get in touch with us.
Click here to know more: https://katprotech.com/sharepoint.html